[ltp] W500 DisplayPort Intel GMA vs Radeon 3650

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Jun 2010 14:42:08 +1000

--------------000809080305080000050200

Hello,

I have been using the Radeon driver with my W500. I have attached the
xorg.conf with this email - if its of any help. I am running Kernel
2.6.33.3 with Mandriva 10.0. Things (suspend/resume) etc are fairly stable.

Hope that helps,

On 31/05/10 23:57, credito@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a W500 with two graphic cards. One is the Intel GMA 4500 and the other is a ATI Radeon Mobile 3650. I disabled the ati in bios as I don't need the  extra 3d power.  I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.
>
> But no I face an issue: I can't get the Intel card working on the displayport. VGA works fine but the image is a bit blurred on high res.
> xrandr tells me there is an DP1 but nothing is connected.
>
> I googled a bit and it looks like the intel graphic card can't use or is not attached to the displayport. Does anyone of you have any further information on this ?
>
> What I can tell is if I boot with the intel setup the external monitor is pitch black. If I switch to ati card the monitor shows the boot process. So I'm not too confident this can be fixed by software.
>
> Anyway I switched to the opensource radeon driver. This gave my indeed what I wanted for a couple of minutes. Then out a sudden (10-15 minutes after normal work) the internal display just got some kind of blurry effect. It's hard to describe. Thin black lines for instance are flickering blueish. The fonts are readable but it appears every 2nd row has some sort of misinformation. The background of the console window is not black anymore. For my eye it appears some grey color is added.  And a couple of other nasty features. If I power down and start up again it is fine for 5-10 minutes. I suspect this might be a temperature issue. I noticed the GPU has around 60° degree Celsius.   Does anyone have an idea what happens here ?
>
> Next I decided I try the fglrx (10.5) driver. Well at the moment this blurry feature is gone (GPU is around 45°), though I will continue to do some long term investigations. Of course now I struggle other problems suspend, switch to console,...
>
> I'm a bit scared because of this blurry feature. The laptop is a week old.
>

> Rightnow I'm thinking of how I could get a proper setup. I'd like to use the Ati card only if is absolutely necessary (in my case external monitor via displayport). Does anyone of you have a similar setup and maybe a solution for it ?
>
> I guess there is no auto switch graphic card utility in linux yet. I'm just wondering if it could be switched during boot (grub boot parameter) to pick one graphic card. I just don't know if it is possible to completely shutdown the intel and ati card by linux. Any pointers ?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Marcel

--------------000809080305080000050200

# File generated by XFdrake (rev )

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "False" # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
    #DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
    AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "glx" # 3D layer
    Load "dri" # direct rendering
    Load "GLcore"
#    Load "ddc"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Enable"
        Option      "Xevie" "Enable"
#       Option      "RENDER" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode         066
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Generic"
    ModelName "Flat Panel 1920x1200"
    HorizSync 28.8-90
    VertRefresh 60
    DisplaySize  330        210

    # Monitor preferred modeline (49.8 Hz vsync, 60.8 kHz hsync, ratio 16/10, 147 dpi)
    ModeLine "1920x1200" 134.28 1920 1968 2000 2208 1200 1202 1208 1220 -hsync -vsync

    # Monitor preferred modeline (60.0 Hz vsync, 73.0 kHz hsync, ratio 16/10, 147 dpi)
    ModeLine "1920x1200" 167.8 1920 1968 2000 2298 1200 1203 1206 1217 -hsync -vsync

    # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
    # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

    # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
    ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
    BoardName "ATI Radeon HD 2000 and later (radeon/fglrx)"
#    Driver "ati"
    Driver "radeon"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"