[ltp] Expresscard and external USB drives

Damon Lynch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:18:10 -0500

On 06/25/2010 07:53 PM, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
> I can't really answer your question, but I do know that ExpressCard
> Firewire/1394 adapters do NOT provide power to any connected Firewire
> devices. It was a real surprise to me, so now I wouldn't be surprised
> that they also do not provide power to usb3 devices.

It seems I need to look more carefully next time - this model of
Expresscard adapter has a 5V input itself, allowing the external drives
to be powered. I didn't notice it at first, and the device's manual says
nothing about it. So I'm glad to be mistaken.

Damon

--

http://www.damonlynch.net