[ltp] VGA hotplugging

Mon, 08 Mar 2010 04:46:20 +0000

Dear all,

Just wondering - has anyone got VGA hotplugging to really work elegantly
and seamlessly?

So far, the gnome-xrandr tool (under Lucid) does a wonderful job of
letting me manually reconfigure the desktop after I plug/unplug a monitor.

But what I really want is for the following:

  1. Plug in VGA cable
         -> Automatically configures dual-monitors as a larger
            screen (*)
	-> Ideally, adds a 2nd taskbar to the other screen.
            so that each monitor has its own taskbar.

  2. Unplug VGA cable:
	-> reconfigures virtual desktop back to the original
            size. The mouse is now constrained to the actual screen area
         -> All windows are moved back to the visible existing screen
	   and resized.

(*) Depending on the user and the use-case, we may want to:
   -  clone the two displays (what happens if the aspect ratios differ),
   -  extend the desktop for dual-head
   -  clone the two displays, and make the internal resolution/aspect
     match the external one (when giving presentations)

Is there any way to do this already? Has anyone written any scripts to
do it?

Thanks,

Richard