[ltp] Temperature sensors on X201s

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 05 May 2010 22:24:07 -0400

I just got an X201s and must say I'm pretty pleased.
Most things work fine, but I have some minor issues still:
- cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal gives me just:
    temperatures:   43 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  now 43° is fine, but how come there's only 1 value there.  Are there
  really no other sensors (I understand that the GPU and CPU share
  chip, so to some extent their temperature should be close enough that
  I don't need a separate reading, but I would still expect a few more).
- /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/current_now seems to sometimes report
  power rather than current (i.e. sometimes it's 1000 times
  /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/current_avg and sometimes it's 1000
  times /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/power_avg).  Not clear when it
  changes from one to the other.  powertop also seems confused about it
  (when current_now correctly gives current, powertop seems to interpret
  it as power).
- Xorg only works with KMS.  Without it, it crashes the whole system
  (black screen, typically with blinking caps-lock led, tho not always).
- hibernate tends to corrupt some part of the memory (I have the same
  thing on my MSI Wind, where disabling KMS works around the problem).
- I currently get an idle power consumption somewhere between 8W and 9W,
  which seems slightly higher than needed.  powertop doesn't seem of
  much use (tells me to use min_power on SATA even though it's already
  set that way).

Any hint to fix those?

        Stefan