[ltp] W500 WUXGA display panel quality?

Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:39:49 +1100

--=-hmGLWMeYjnJZYVq3KhK2

Hei,

my good old T61p died recently (i think the nvidia chip must have gone
toast), so i got a W500 (type 4061) and am actually getting another
tomorrow (type 4062).

Anyways...both have the WUXGA display (1900x1200) which is why i'm bying
these things. In the past, the display was one of the reasons that
always did outdo any other laptop manufacturer, because you could rely
on not only long-lasting, high resolution, but also on a decent panel
choice that may have sacrificed response time or brightness for image
stability.

Now ever since i switched to the W500 i seem to have a feeling of
irritation or subtle flickering when looking at the screen. If i focus
in closely on the surface structure, i seem to recognise a bit of a
texture and a chrystalline glitter like effect.

Having done a lot of research on TFTs before i bought my first NEC
MultiSync about 5 years ago, i'm aware of different panel technologies
and such...and i seem to remember having rejected a display back then
because it had an IPS panel that had the same crystalline glitter effect
and was hence uneasy on the eyes.

So the question, finally.... ;-) ....does anyone have similar
experiences switching from an older ThinkPad to the W500 WUXGA?

Did you get used to it?

Can anyone confirm if it's an IPS panel (i believe the T61p and
everything before it had PPA ones)?

Does it come with different panels and do we know anything about them?

Did anyone ever try shifting a T61p panel into a W500? Should that - in
theory - work?

I noticed even more severe effects when using the ATI card (very
distinct interlacing stripes), so i'm assuming this could be driver
related, too (refresh frequencies etc)...are there any insights into
such?

Thanks for any replies,
Andre.

--=-hmGLWMeYjnJZYVq3KhK2