[ltp] Re: how to make the console not blank out and change resolution?

Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:05:38 +0800

>> PG(> I think it is <drivername>.modeset=0 (e.g. "radeon.modeset=0").
>> PG(> I use both:  "vmlinuz foo radeon.modeset=0 modeset=0" which does work.
OK, I finally figured it out:
$ zgrep -c modeset /usr/share/doc/linux-doc-2.6.32/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt.gz
0 #not here
$ man bootparam|grep -c modeset
0 #nor here. So got a hint from this thread. Trying...
# lsmod|cut -d ' ' -f 1|sed 1d|xargs modinfo|
perl -nwle '/filename/ and $f=$_;/modeset/ && print "$f\n$_"'
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
parm:           modeset:int

So on this machine I need to use i915.modeset=0 on the boot line. Worked. Thanks everybody.
Now I can finally read ALL the boot messages sitting on the screen. Yes,
even the ones that don't end up in any /var/log file, nor will any ^S/^Q catch.
Note of course we must reboot without such a parameter if we intend to
use X-windows. Therefore the above is useful mainly when one thinks he
missed a new warning flashing by and wants to read it before it
disappears along with what was supposed to end up in a log file but did
not due to having been zapped upon the default modeset action. I'll CC
the kernel list about that. They probably think all messages are getting
logged. Better yet, I won't CC them, as it probably isn't a kernel
problem. Somebody will have to CC the right party for me. Thanks.