[ltp] Getting nVidia to clone display on a projector

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:51:25 -0800

I have a T61 with Fedora 13 x86_64 and the nVidia Quadro NVS 140M.
The laptop display is running at 1680x1050. I am trying to clone this
to a Hitachi CP-X605 projector:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-CP-X605.htm

Using the nouveau driver I cannot even see the projector. It's as
though the cable is not connected. Xrandr -q just sees the laptop
screen, regardless of what I do.

Using the latest nVidia driver (downloaded and installed last night), I
can see the projector using the nVidia Settings utility, but the
projector screen remains black.

There are a ton of settings in the nVidia Settings utility, with
possible permutations in the millions. Perhaps I have just not hit on
the right combination. If someone with the same video chip has
successfully cloned the laptop screen to a projector, can you share
with me the secret combination of settings?