[ltp] hdd noise

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:27:58 -0500

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:14:12AM +1300, Helen Borrie wrote:
> >Buy a Hitachi drive. I use them since about 8 year, currently two HTS725050A9A364: No noise, no vibrations.
> >I will have a look on SSDs in five years (again).
>
> +1 to that.  I've always used Hitachi drives on my Thinkpads (2 X T42, both using PATA, 1 X T60, which has two SATA HDDs, one in the Ultrabay) and neither disk noise *nor* fan noise has ever been an issue. I do have one external Seagate (used occasionally) which *is* noisy.

     I've thought about upgrading my hard drive (currently a t43p with
stock 60GB 7200rpm drive, which is kinda small by today's standards),
but in the past I've read that anything but the exact same drive will
cause the thinkpad's bios to complain on bootup.  Is this no longer
the case?

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell