[ltp] Battery life on X200T

bhaskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 04 Sep 2010 17:10:53 -0400

Sergi Pons Freixes wrote:
> Hi Per,
>
> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Per Dalgas Jakobsen <pdj@knaldgas.dk> wrote:
>
>> I believe the difference is roughly the degradation of the battery.
>>

> $ cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full
> 19990000
> $ cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design
> 28800000
>
> I see, I understand that my battery can now only achieve a full charge
> of about the 70% of a "new and perfect" battery.  I have had only this
> laptop for... mmm... maybe two years? Is it ok this level of
> degradation?
>
> Anyway, from this values, I would go from ~1:30 to ~2:15. Not bad, but
> not as good as I expected...
>

>> If that does not explain the short battery time, maybe
>> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_reduce_power_consumption
>> can help.
>>

> >From time to time I try to tweak the system on various aspects (power
> consumption one of them) just for fun :), but I'll recheck this wiki
> page.
>
> Thank you!

Don't feel too bad, in moderate to heavy usage LT batteries might make it to
three years if you are lucky.
Now consider this:
Your battery has either six or nine cells.
The Tesla EC is reported to have over six thousand of the same type of cells
so a loss of that much equals about $8000.00 at the very best price of
the replacement batteries that I have ever seen.
Any wonder why you can't get the EC hype-happy yapsters to talk about
battery
replacement costs or how much the range will drop as the batteries age.