[ltp] RE: Fan speed increased on my T400s

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:24:29 +0200

--=-TiA/T5EpS+YRzaoldS2k

> My question still if which of the two would be better, safety wise?

I only used tpfand so far d was very pleased with the intuitive
configuration interface. It just works.

Safety-wise all tools that regulate your fan in software are equally
dangerous. You must realize that if your kernel crashes into a full load
CPU loop, the software might not be able to adjust the fan properly and
the EC will be disabled and do nothing, too. In the worst case this can
destroy your CPU. I never heard of anyone having experienced this,
though.

The safes option is to clean your heat sink as advised in an other mail
of this thread. You can also look into undervolting the CPU which - if
properly done - is almost impossible to harm your Hardware. Look for
linux-phc regarding this. Ubuntu has a ppa for phc kernels.

kind regards,
             Fionn

--=-TiA/T5EpS+YRzaoldS2k

--=-TiA/T5EpS+YRzaoldS2k--