[ltp] t43p, PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Error 0200 Failure Fixed Disk 1, Operating System Not Found

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:13:29 +0000

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:40:41AM +0000, Steven J. Owens wrote:
>      I posted a month or two ago for advice about the post-lenovo
> thinkpads.  It looks like my trusty t43p finally bit the big one:
>
>      The other night, I started getting battery warnings, [...]
>      I held down the power button for four seconds, but it failed to
> boot, giving me "PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable".
> [...] "ERROR 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 1 Press F1 to Setup"
> [...] "Operating System Not Found".
> [...]
>      So I dug up another, checked it in another machine first, then
> tried booting the t43p wtih it.  For some reason I reinserted the hard
> drive beforehand (I guess thinking that I could see if I could back up
> the disk).  It booted normally off the hard drive.

     On further investigation, it seems to be the *battery* that's
causing the problem.  After it booted properly above, I closed the
screen, putting it to sleep, inserted the battery, and left it alone
for several hours.  When I opened it again, it failed to resume, blank
screen, held down power to reboot, same error messages as before.

     On a hunch, I yanked the battery and rebooted, it booted up fine.
It appeared to be booting from the hard drive, not the USB drive, so I
unmounted the USB drive and rebooted; it rebooted fine.  So I ran my
backup scripts and... now what?   Order a new battery?

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell