[ltp] How do I install linux on a w520 with raid0?

Micha linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Aug 2011 06:08:27 +0300

I just got a new w520 with two 500GB hard drives configured in raid0. Windows is
already installed and running on it (and I need it to stay there unfortunately)
and I'm trying to install linux along side it (debian unstable).

I got the installed running and it installed fine as it seems (although it looks
like it messed up the partition table a bit as now I also have sda1 and sda2
that weren't there to begin with I think), but I can't get grub to install and
rescue mode also won't boot into linux no matter what drive I choose as root. I
did manage to mount the partition from /dev/matter/...05 and everything is
installed on it, but again, no grub.

Any ideas on how to get linux up and running (I need to boot into it somehow).

I tried debian unstable installed from usb and debian live installed from usb,
but neither goes past the grub step.

I also tried following some instructions I found on the net saying to add
dmraid=true to the command line during install and then again when grub fails
when booting into recovery but no /dev/dm and no mounting the linux partition at
that point so I can't continue.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks