[ltp] Display Port / Intel graphics adapter users

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:10:27 +0100

--00163630eaa57605aa049b3c7245

I'm interested in buying a new laptop as well, and probably a T410 or T510.
Since I really *hate* all these small quirks which don't exist in windows,
I'll probably look for a model with the simplest and most compatible > On

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/711093

>> I imagine it would be helpful if users of Thinkpads other than a T400s
could
>> report if the same bug affects them too. This bug has been present in
Ubuntu
>> since at least the time of 10.04, and possibly before.
>>

> I think this may be a logic issue in gnome power manager (GPM) rather
> than the driver. If the following commands executed from a terminal
> blank the displays properly:
> sleep 5; xset dpms force off
> then the driver is working correctly. I have similar issues on fedora
> on a w500 with AMD gaphics, so I suspect it's a GPM issue.
>
> Alex
>
>> Damon
>>
>> --
>> http://www.damonlynch.net
>>
> --

--00163630eaa57605aa049b3c7245

r T510. Since I really *hate* all these small quirks which don&#39;t exist =
in windows, I&#39;ll probably look for a model with the simplest and most c=
ompatible &gt; On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Damon Lynch &lt;<a href=3D"=
mailto:damonlynch@gmail.com">damonlynch@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt; Hi,<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; I presume other Thinkpad users using t=
he internal Intel video adapter<br>&gt;&gt; connected to an external monito=
r via Display Port have run into the same bug<br>&gt;&gt; as me - that the =
external monitor never goes into an energy saving state<br>
&gt;&gt; when the laptop LCD is powered off. At least, this is what I find =
using<br>&gt;&gt; Ubuntu. This is most unfortunate. An obvious workaround i=
s to power off the<br>&gt;&gt; monitor manually when leaving the desk. But =
when it is switched on again<br>
&gt;&gt; Gnome *always* reverts to a lowest-common-denominator mirrored dis=
play,<br>&gt;&gt; despite not being in that mode previously. It&#39;s diffi=
cult to imagine that<br>&gt;&gt; anyone actually wants to use their laptop =
with this display setup.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; If so, and you&#39;re interested in having it fixed, p=
lease see this bug report:<br>&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"https://bugs.launchpad.ne=
t/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/711093">https://bugs.launchp=
ad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/711093</a><br>
&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; I imagine it would be helpful if users of Thinkpads ot=
her than a T400s could<br>&gt;&gt; report if the same bug affects them too.=
 This bug has been present in Ubuntu<br>&gt;&gt; since at least the time of=
 10.04, and possibly before.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>&gt; <br>&gt; I think this may be a logic issue in gnome power =
manager (GPM) rather<br>&gt; than the driver.  If the following commands ex=
ecuted from a terminal<br>&gt; blank the displays properly:<br>&gt; sleep 5=
; xset dpms force off<br>
&gt; then the driver is working correctly.  I have similar issues on fedora=

&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.damonlynch.net">http://www.damonlynch.net</a=
 is at:<br>&gt; <a href=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listin=