[ltp] playback of fhd video on linux

Damon Lynch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:15:17 -0600

--000e0ce0f902468fb8049d0cdf22

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Arian Kuschki <
arian.kuschki@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> does anybody have any experiences of playing 1080p video on linux?

Using VLC I can play 1080p blu-ray files on my T400s without any problems.
Playback is smooth. I have no doubt that CPU usage is considerably higher
than on a platform where hardware acceleration is properly implemented.
That's not ideal, but as I only every play 1080p video when I'm plugged into
a power source (and using an external monitor), it's not disastrous.  I have
not tried to play a 1080p file encoded with exotic, CPU-taxing compression
options.  Maybe that would not work as well.

Of course 1080p Flash is a totally different story, for different reasons.
Especially 64 bit flash. It's a struggle merely to get Flash to do basic
operations such as run full screen. I hope the situation with web video will
improve in the coming months.

Damon

--
http://www.damonlynch.net

--000e0ce0f902468fb8049d0cdf22

_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:=
1ex;">
Hi all,<br>
does anybody have any experiences of playing 1080p video on linux?<br clear=
 my T400s without any problems. Playback is smooth. I have no doubt that CP=
U usage is considerably higher than on a platform where hardware accelerati=
on is properly implemented.=A0 That&#39;s not ideal, but as I only every pl=
ay 1080p video when I&#39;m plugged into a power source (and using an exter=
nal monitor), it&#39;s not disastrous.=A0 I have not tried to play a 1080p =
file encoded with exotic, CPU-taxing compression options.=A0 Maybe that wou=
ld not work as well.<br>
ns. Especially 64 bit flash. It&#39;s a struggle merely to get Flash to do =
basic operations such as run full screen. I hope the situation with web vid=
eo will improve in the coming months.<br>
monlynch.net</a><br>

--000e0ce0f902468fb8049d0cdf22--