[ltp] Upgrading from IBM to Lenovo?

Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:35:26 +0200

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 02:19:56PM -0500, Steven J. Owens wrote:
>      What do people think of the lenovo quality?
=2E..
>      Durability and portability are probably my highest priorities.

I've been using a Lenovo T61 for three years.  It is durable and has
survived a few falls to the floor (one of which physically bent a USB
connector of a wireless mouse dongle that was plugged in at the time),
and 6 kg cats lying on top of it.

The screen hinges are very stiff while at the same time allowing free
motion of a few degrees -- this is a bit irritating, but livable, and
it's been that way since day one.

The ExpressCard eject pip sometimes pops out and doesn't want to be
pushed back in -- the latch inside doesn't catch or something.  A few
minutes of persistent pushing gets it back.

A tiny piece of plastic broke off above the left USB port [1] a while
ago.  It used to form a little groove and was a weak spot in the
plastic.  The similar groove on the other side is solid. [2]

  [1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgedmin/5332089953/
  [2] http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgedmin/5332091671/

The 6-cell battery was good for about 3 hours initially, now it's
down to 2.5 hours.  Here's what /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info says:

    design capacity:         56160 mWh
    last full capacity:      42720 mWh

so it still has 76% of the design capacity.  Frankly, I'm surprised.  I
wasn't doing anything special to increase battery life.

Portability-wise, my widescreen T61 is a bit on the big and heavy side,
but I don't complain.  Backpacks rule.  Also, it's not too heavy -- I
can easily pick it up one-handed (which is a Bad Idea, as it flexes the
motherboard and may cause laptop death).

Aesthetically I was disappointed when I first saw it.  The LCD panel is
not centered -- the bevel is 3x wider on the left side as on the right.
This bugged me until I got used to it.

Overall I'm very happy with my laptop, and I would buy Lenovo again.
A T or X series ThinkPad; the rest of Lenovo range doesn't look
appealing to me.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
I once asked an older coworker and Solaris guru what happened with the
Unix-haters list. He told me that it stopped being quite so funny once Wind=
ows
NT came along.
		-- the gnat at slashdot

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI