[ltp] Re: Official test whether overheating is a warrany case?

Laurent linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:39:41 +0100

Hi,

> Yes, -1 there.

Remove the keyboard (4 screws) and tighten the 3 screws holding
the fan assembly to the cpu (upper left corner). There are springs
between the fan assembly and the screws, so there is no need to
apply a lot of force. It should at least give you a bit more time
under full load and takes about 5 min. Removing the keyboard does
not void the warranty. I'm not so sure about the screws holding
the fan.

And call the On-Site-Service afterwards. That is not a permanent
fix.

For reference: my T400 goes up to about 75=C2=B0C CPU-temp under full
load for several hours straight on ATI and CPU (25=C2=B0C ambient,
Ubuntu 10.10). The fan gets loud, the whole body gets warm, but
it runs w/o any problems.

cu