[ltp] Replace CD Drive In R31

Simon Royal linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:43:55 +0000

Hi

I am looking to replace the CD drive in my R31. It only has a CD-ROM
and I would like at least DVD reading and CD burning options. I am not
too bothered about DVD burning, but it would be nice.

I know most laptops use non-standard drive cases with standard drives
inside them. Changing the actual drive - taking it out of its specific
casing and popping a new drive in - is easier and cheaper than buying
an official one. I had this countless times with Macs. I popped a slot

Ive been looking about for a new official drive for my ThinkPad and
all I can find is a DVD ROM anyway. That is another bonus of
constructing a custom drive - you can add capabilities that are not
normally available. I doubt there was ever an official DVD burner for
my R31.

I have a combo drive which I have used in other machines - a Panasonic
UJDA760. I fitted it in my R31 but it would not boot a CD from it. I
took the whole drive caddy out - by pressing the button and pulling
out the tab - and the machine boots fine. I then popped it back in and
was able to burn a number of CDs on it (under Ubuntu). So the drive
works, I just dont understand why it wont boot from it. Is my drive a
bit dodgy or does the R31 require certain type drives to boot from.

I am not too bothered about bezels, as this is the usual the sticking point=
.

Regards

Simon

--=20
--- Twitter:=A0http://twitter.com/SimonRoyal=A0- LowEndMac:
http://tinyurl.com/macspectrum=A0- Skype: Simon-Royal.
--- IBM ThinkPad R31 running Ubuntu 10.10 & Windows XP Home. Apple
PowerBook G3 'Pismo' running OSX 10.4. Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
Pro running 2.1