[ltp] Replace CD Drive In R31

Jason Brooks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 21:51:37 -0800

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Simon Royal <mrsimonroyal@gmail.com> wrote=
:
> Hi
>
> I am looking to replace the CD drive in my R31. It only has a CD-ROM
> and I would like at least DVD reading and CD burning options. I am not
> too bothered about DVD burning, but it would be nice.
>
> I know most laptops use non-standard drive cases with standard drives
> inside them. Changing the actual drive - taking it out of its specific
> casing and popping a new drive in - is easier and cheaper than buying
> an official one. I had this countless times with Macs. I popped a slot
>
> Ive been looking about for a new official drive for my ThinkPad and
> all I can find is a DVD ROM anyway. That is another bonus of
> constructing a custom drive - you can add capabilities that are not
> normally available. I doubt there was ever an official DVD burner for
> my R31.
>
> I have a combo drive which I have used in other machines - a Panasonic
> UJDA760. I fitted it in my R31 but it would not boot a CD from it. I
> took the whole drive caddy out - by pressing the button and pulling
> out the tab - and the machine boots fine. I then popped it back in and
> was able to burn a number of CDs on it (under Ubuntu). So the drive
> works, I just dont understand why it wont boot from it. Is my drive a
> bit dodgy or does the R31 require certain type drives to boot from.
>
> I am not too bothered about bezels, as this is the usual the sticking poi=
nt .

> Regards
>
> Simon
>
> --
> --- Twitter:=C2=A0http://twitter.com/SimonRoyal=C2=A0- LowEndMac:
> http://tinyurl.com/macspectrum=C2=A0- Skype: Simon-Royal.
> --- IBM ThinkPad R31 running Ubuntu 10.10 & Windows XP Home. Apple
> PowerBook G3 'Pismo' running OSX 10.4. Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
> Pro running 2.1
> --

when you say it wont boot up do you mean it stays at the thinkpad logo
or that it just doesn't boot a boot disk? If it is at the thinkpad
logo it is the drive. There are a lot of devices that will do this. My
sony ebook reader does this. My Ipod does this. It is just not
compatible with the bios device probe. Probably because it doesn't
identify something the bios is waiting for.. who knows. You need to
stick with H-L drives. They are 100% compatible.

--=20
JaY