[ltp] Product recovery disc for T43

Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:27:53 +0100

On 04/07/11 19:41, James Knott wrote:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> IŽd go for installing Windows XP into a VirtualBox guest. Then you can
>> carry your Windows around, when you switch to a different laptop. I
>> did so
>> when I switched from my T42 to the new T520. (I still have the T42 around
>> with the license key.)
>
> But that would still entail getting a copy of XP to install. I'd rather
> not buy another copy of XP if I can avoid it (assuming I can even find
> one), as the computer is already licenced for it.

I believe that you can use your license key to install XP from any
install disc (provided that you match up home vs pro). So you should be
able to borrow someone else's CD to do this, and this is perfectly legal.

Alternatively, it's possible to take an existing Windows installation
and convert it into a VM image. VMWare certainly supports this. So you
could take your existing copy of XP across.

OR, just check WINE one more time with the latest devel version, or the
version from codeweavers (which is about $30, but comes with a free
trial).  When Wine does work, it's pretty good - and it's fast - the
name "Wine is NOT an Emulator" is entirely correct. If your App has a
version that would run on Win98, try that version under Wine.

Richard