[ltp] Impressive battery life on an X301

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:41:10 +0200

This is probably going to be another example of Famous Last Words, but I
just need to let out a Yeeehaa!

The X301 I've been using for both work and private now for 2.5 years
(new in january 2009) still has plenty of power left in it's original
battery:

 bjorn@nemi:~$ grep . /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full*
 /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full:40370000
 /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design:43200000

I believe losing less than 10% capacity in all that time is quite
impressive.  The SSD smart data shows that the laptop has been powered
on for about 7.5 hours a day on average:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       6760

My usage pattern is in no way intentionally battery conserving.  I plug
in AC power whenever that's convenient, like when I'm at my desk at
work, even if the battery is nearly full charged.  And in the other end,
I often run on battery until I see 0% in wmacpi (and sometimes even
longer than that - I disabled automatic hibernation quite some time
ago...).

Bjørn