[ltp] Impressive battery life on an X301

Joao SANSAO linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 20:51:27 -0300

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 06:41:10PM +0200, Bj=F8rn Mork wrote:
> This is probably going to be another example of Famous Last Words, but I
> just need to let out a Yeeehaa!
>=20
> The X301 I've been using for both work and private now for 2.5 years
> (new in january 2009) still has plenty of power left in it's original
> battery:
>=20
>  bjorn@nemi:~$ grep . /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full*
>  /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full:40370000
>  /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design:43200000
>=20
> I believe losing less than 10% capacity in all that time is quite
> impressive.  The SSD smart data shows that the laptop has been powered
> on for about 7.5 hours a day on average:
>=20
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED=
  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always =
      -       6760
>=20
>=20
> My usage pattern is in no way intentionally battery conserving.  I plug
> in AC power whenever that's convenient, like when I'm at my desk at
> work, even if the battery is nearly full charged.  And in the other end,
> I often run on battery until I see 0% in wmacpi (and sometimes even
> longer than that - I disabled automatic hibernation quite some time
> ago...).
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Bj=F8rn
> --

I've been using a T60 with a 9-cell battery for almost 4 years, and
the battery still holds 88 % of the design capacity. The only caution
I take is to use the charging thresholds (30% / 70%), to avoid
frequent charges.

For me, this kind of tweak is one of the biggest selling points of the
Thinkpad line.=20

I wish only there was some kind of study showing the best way to
extend the battery life.

cheers,=20

Joao SANSAO

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3