[ltp] Re: Impressive battery life on an X301

Sandro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:16:23 +0200

Wow, looks like we don't need to worry about those famous Li-Ion
preservation guides. ^^

$ echo 40 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh
$ echo 80 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh

I was worried about the battery life of the Thinkpad Edge myself, but
the famous tweaks haven't worked since Ubuntu 10.04 up to 11.04.
I just filed a bugreport about the problems, but it's nice to know
that if I'm lucky, the battery might just be tougher than they used to
be.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tp-smapi/+bug/814380

> This is probably going to be another example of Famous Last Words, but I
> just need to let out a Yeeehaa!
>
> The X301 I've been using for both work and private now for 2.5 years
> (new in january 2009) still has plenty of power left in it's original
> battery:
>
> =A0bjorn@nemi:~$ grep . /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full*
> =A0/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full:40370000
> =A0/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/energy_full_design:43200000
>
> I believe losing less than 10% capacity in all that time is quite
> impressive. =A0The SSD smart data shows that the laptop has been powered
> on for about 7.5 hours a day on average:
>
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0FLAG =A0 =A0 VALUE WORST THRESH TYP=
E =A0 =A0 =A0UPDATED =A0=3D