[ltp] x201s experience?

Nathaniel Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:19:47 -0700

Hi all,

I'm looking for whether anyone has any experience with the Thinkpad
X201s with Linux. I just got one to replace my old X60, and so far I'm
really loving some things, esp. the new screen -- after living with
1440x900 for a bit, it's hard to imagine going back to 1024x786. The
speed is nice too, and to my surprise, the touchpad is actually not
*totally* useless...

But, I've been having a lot of stability problems. Part of this is
probably some hardware issue -- see the earlier thread about my flaky
wireless kill switch. But in addition to that, I'm having a lot of
random freezes, X crashes (this might be related to plugging in an
external monitor?), and resume failures. Maybe these are all related
to the same underlying electrical issue, and all I need to do is
convince the warranty people to fix that (or eBay this one and buy
another).

Or, maybe the problem is that because the X201s is pretty rare, it
just hasn't seen the kind of bug-fixing with Linux that other
Thinkpads have, and isn't going to get much better. In that case, I'm
not what sure what I could do -- maybe I should get an X200s instead,
which I think has the same screen?

So -- I want to know, what *should* I expect from this machine? Does
anyone out there have an X201s, and if so, what's your experience been
like? Rock-solid like the X60, or flaky like a croissant?

Thanks,
-- Nathaniel