[ltp] x61s gentoo wlan problem - more or less solved

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:31:24 -0400

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 18:22 +0200, Michal Hajek wrote:
> Hi,
>

> >Did you, by any chance, purchase a WLAN card without Lenovo markings?  I
> >had the same issue with my X61s when I used a third-party card.
>
> no, I did not. However, in the meanwhile I discovered, that I did not
> include CONFIG_CFG80211_WEXT in my .config before compiling new kernel.
>
> I was mislead by the help, which says:
>
> "Enable this option if you need old userspace for wireless extensions
> with cfg80211-based drivers."
>
> I thought iwlwifi or iwl3945 is new enough.
>
> After enabling this option, my wifi seems to work.
> That is, I can do scanning for AP.
> The led still does not work, but it is just a small trouble, not worth
> much effort for me.

That would do it...

As an aside, the reason for my question was that on some ThinkPads,
"unauthorized" WLAN cards will get disabled by the BIOS resulting in
symptoms identical to those that you described: no light, and the card
claims it was rfkill'd.  In those cases, taping mini-PCIe pin 20 can
help.

Glad you got it sorted either way.

Cheers,
Rob