[ltp] Thinkpad T61, Ubuntu, cpu scaling

Wed, 15 Jun 2011 20:05:49 +0300

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 05:04:41PM +0200, Schoap D wrote:
> Afaik my system is capable of handling 2GHz, but when I set cpu scaling on
> performance it displays only 1.20GHz.

How do you do that and why do you do that?

Matthew Garrett has argued quite convincingly that the CPU scaling
policy should always be set to 'ondemand':
http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/power/good_practices.html

> What is going wrong here?
>=20
>=20
> $ cpufreq-info
> cpufrequtils 006: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
> Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
> analyzing CPU 0:
>   driver: acpi-cpufreq
>   CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0 1
>   CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
>   maximum transition latency: 10.0 us.
>   hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.00 GHz
>   available frequency steps: 2.00 GHz, 2.00 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.20 GHz, 800 =
MHz
>   available cpufreq governors: conservative, ondemand, userspace, powersa=
ve,
> performance
>   current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 1.20 GHz.
>                   The governor "performance" may decide which speed to use
>                   within this range.

If looks like you've configured your CPU scaling policy to never go
above 1.2 GHz.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
"Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
                -- Karl Lehenbauer

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb--