[ltp] T420s HD life and Load Cycle counter

Alessandro Crismani linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:02:53 +0100

Il giorno mar, 28/06/2011 alle 09.57 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
ha scritto:
> tp_smapi doesn't park heads.  And even if you have hdapsd running, it
> would
> log messages to syslog when it park heads, so check for that.
>
> Extremely aggressive APM levels being set on the HDD are to blame, I
> bet.

Thanks for the advice,

I got rid of the aggressive policy with a hdparm -B 254 for now. I'll
optimize the value later.

I should have noticed the high load cycles before, damn it! Well, at
least I have an excuse to move to SSDs in a not so far future :)

Cheers,
Alessandro