[ltp] Z61m, ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400, Debian Sid

Gijs Hillenius linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:21:11 +0100

Folks,

I think I might have hosed the Radeon Mobility X1400 on my Z61m. The
2.6.38-rc6 kernel has stopped the flickering, but on my laptop screen
the bottom 1/3rd is now unusable. It is either grey, or turns grey very
quickly, or it is black and won't come on like the rest of the
screen. I temporarily hooked up an external monitor..

I guess I did this by using vbetool? For several hours, I used the
following command, a few weeks ago,

* Warning *
****   "/usr/sbin/vbetool dpms off; sleep 2; /usr/sbin/vbetool dpms on"

until Alex warned me: this bangs on the hardware behind the driver's
back

(and I guess, that could damage the hardware)

On the other hand, sometimes opening and closing the screen solves the
problem temporarily. Maybe the connector has become loose?

Should I be looking for a new laptop?