[ltp] T420/T520 and Linux

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:43:30 -0600

It only "just works" as long as you do what Steve Jobs thinks you should =
be
doing: word processing, e-mail, Web surfing, and presentations.  If you a=
re
doing hard core development, it's different.

I drool when I look over the shoulder of presenters and see how easy it i=
s to
the slide on the external video (but not when they can't find the right
adapter for whatever oddball connecter to VGA).  I run screaming away
from it when I hear that to do heavy duty Rails development, you have to =
rip
out all the dependencies that come pre-installed and install ones that wo=
rk.

Some people with bigger wallets and stronger backs than me have a MacBook=
 for
office work and a Linux box for development.

Macs are pretty.  Matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto, of Ruby fame) used a Thinkpad
every time I've seen him present.  My usecases are closer to Matz than St=
eve.

Jeffrey