[ltp] tp_smapi versions

Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:39:39 -0300

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Wade Curry wrote:
> 1)  It appears that the thinkpad-acpi driver is at version .40, and

I don't bother bumping up versions of thinkpad-acpi that regularly, the
latest driver is whatever is in the latest kernel.

> kernel sources is only version .24...   What's going on with
> maintenance of these modules?  Is it possible I'm not using the
> right one, or I'm looking in the wrong place?

I need a new thinkpad, it is that simple.  Development is kind of stalled
right now because I am riding a burn out, and trying to second-guess Lenovo
without access to a hardware newer than a T43 does not make it any easier.

> 2) Where as the in-kernel version produces a thinkpad-acpi.ko, the
> newer ebuild version doesn't.  It produces thinkpad_ec.ko and
> tp_smapi.ko instead.  What are the significant differences here?

Those are different drivers.  And I don't think Shem (who used to take care
of tp_smapi) is around anymore, and I don't have access to his real
identity, so you need to get a patched version from e.g. Ubuntu or Debian,
to get it to actually compile on 2.6.36+.  Probably Gentoo patched theirs as
well.

  Henrique Holschuh