[ltp] Re: SSD for a X220?

Damon Lynch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 May 2011 16:00:55 -0500

--0015174be646a8871c04a2656fdf

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius@gedmin.as> wrote:

> On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 11:29:58AM -0300, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > Basically, it says this:
> > > - have a good, tested backup plan
> > > - plan for the SSD to fail within a year
> > > - go buy a good one right now
> >
> > My experience with a Vertex II in a T60 is not that extreme.  My disk
> > doesn't have enough years to say much about reliability but it will have
> > lasted at least more than a year.  OTOH in terms of performance, while
> > I'm still surprised at how fast it boots, it's because I almost never
> > reboot, and because most other operations aren't sped up nearly as much.
>
> Same here with a Intel X25-M (160 GB) in a T61.  I've had it for 14
> months and am extremely happy with its performance.

An interesting account of a developer's experience with SSDs is here:
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2011/04/hard-lesson-learned-hard-way-about-ssds.html

The only thing I feel is lacking with respect to SSDs on Linux is a one-stop
shop where it's easy to get information on questions that invariably pop up
about TRIM, how to enable it, and what to do if you have not done so or
cannot do so.

As an aside, having got used to Unity these last couple of months, I've come
to enjoy it very much. I think it's already pretty good and I anticipate it
will only get better.

Damon
--
http://www.damonlynch.net

--0015174be646a8871c04a2656fdf

/a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:=
0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 11:29:58AM -0300, Stefan Monnier wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; Basically, it says this:<br>
&gt; &gt; - have a good, tested backup plan<br>
&gt; &gt; - plan for the SSD to fail within a year<br>
&gt; &gt; - go buy a good one right now<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; My experience with a Vertex II in a T60 is not that extreme. =A0My dis=
k<br>
&gt; doesn&#39;t have enough years to say much about reliability but it wil=
l have<br>
&gt; lasted at least more than a year. =A0OTOH in terms of performance, whi=
le<br>
&gt; I&#39;m still surprised at how fast it boots, it&#39;s because I almos=
t never<br>
&gt; reboot, and because most other operations aren&#39;t sped up nearly as=
 much.<br>
Same here with a Intel X25-M (160 GB) in a T61. =A0I&#39;ve had it for 14<b=
r>
months and am extremely happy with its performance.<br>
per&#39;s experience with SSDs is here: <a href=3D"http://blog.dustinkirkla=
nd.com/2011/04/hard-lesson-learned-hard-way-about-ssds.html">http://blog.du=
stinkirkland.com/2011/04/hard-lesson-learned-hard-way-about-ssds.html</a><b=
r>
-stop shop where it&#39;s easy to get information on questions that invaria=
bly pop up about TRIM, how to enable it, and what to do if you have not don=
e so or cannot do so.<br>
9;ve come to enjoy it very much. I think it&#39;s already pretty good and I=
://www.damonlynch.net">http://www.damonlynch.net</a><br>

--0015174be646a8871c04a2656fdf--