[ltp] Re: SSD for a X220?

Wed, 4 May 2011 16:10:56 +0300

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 04:00:55PM -0500, Damon Lynch wrote:
> The only thing I feel is lacking with respect to SSDs on Linux is a one-s=
top
> shop where it's easy to get information on questions that invariably pop =
up
> about TRIM, how to enable it, and what to do if you have not done so or
> cannot do so.

Just yesterday I stumbled upon this discussion about the uselessness of
TRIM on realworldtech.com.  Some links:
http://realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=3Ddetail&id=3D116028&threa=
did=3D115697&roomid=3D2
http://realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=3Ddetail&id=3D116153&threa=
did=3D115697&roomid=3D2
http://realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=3Ddetail&id=3D116166&threa=
did=3D115697&roomid=3D2

My attempt to summarize: use TRIM when you're reformatting a drive,
otherwise it's an extra cost with no benefits for any realistic usage
pattern.

IIRC Linus's position on partition alignment is similar: good SSD
firmware will take care of things transparently, and you don't want to
buy an SSD with crappy firmware.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3 is colloquially known as =93MP3.=94 If you haven=92t h=
eard of
MP3s, I don=92t know what to do with you. Walmart sells portable music play=
ers
and calls them =93MP3 players.=94 WALMART. Anyway=85
        -- Mark Pilgrim

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8--