[ltp] Buying a New Thinkpad

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 May 2011 09:29:52 -0700

On Wed, 4 May 2011 12:24:23 +0200
Adrian Bastholm <adrian@javaguru.org> dijo:

>Since I've just bought the low-end T520 I thought I could add some
>value to the discussion.
>mSATA instead of WWAN:
>True, but there's no need to remove the WWAN card (and thus unscrew a
>lot of pieces) since there's an ExpressCard slot at the right hand
>corner, which takes SSD drives.

Do I understand correctly that you can add an expresscard SSD drive and
use it as the boot drive, leaving the original spinning drive in place
to use for storage? This might be the best way to go. I could, for
example, put Fedora or Ubuntu, and ~/ home on the SSD drive, and mount
the spinner in a folder in ~/. The expresscard SSD drive wouldn't have
to be more than 32 GB or so.

Another option is a Seagate Momentus which is a hybrid. Evidently it
contains internal software that uses the SSD portion for files that you
are using a lot, and the spinning portion for everything else,
allocating the usage dynamically. It's an intriguing concept, but with
the Momentus the SSD portion is only 4 GB.

As a second question, is there data anywhere on real-world read/write
speeds of the various SSD drives currently available. Technical specs
are fine, but I'd also like to see customer reviews.