[ltp] Buying a New Thinkpad

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 May 2011 18:35:29 +0200

--0016364eccb23751b704a275d828

Q1: yes ,you can
Q2: no idea about real world performance. The macbook air seems to be
blazing fast
Den 4 maj 2011 17.30 skrev "John Jason Jordan" <johnxj@comcast.net>:
> On Wed, 4 May 2011 12:24:23 +0200
> Adrian Bastholm <adrian@javaguru.org> dijo:
>
>>Since I've just bought the low-end T520 I thought I could add some
>>value to the discussion.
>>mSATA instead of WWAN:
>>True, but there's no need to remove the WWAN card (and thus unscrew a
>>lot of pieces) since there's an ExpressCard slot at the right hand
>>corner, which takes SSD drives.
>
> Do I understand correctly that you can add an expresscard SSD drive and
> use it as the boot drive, leaving the original spinning drive in place
> to use for storage? This might be the best way to go. I could, for
> example, put Fedora or Ubuntu, and ~/ home on the SSD drive, and mount
> the spinner in a folder in ~/. The expresscard SSD drive wouldn't have
> to be more than 32 GB or so.
>
> Another option is a Seagate Momentus which is a hybrid. Evidently it
> contains internal software that uses the SSD portion for files that you
> are using a lot, and the spinning portion for everything else,
> allocating the usage dynamically. It's an intriguing concept, but with
> the Momentus the SSD portion is only 4 GB.
>
> As a second question, is there data anywhere on real-world read/write
> speeds of the various SSD drives currently available. Technical specs
> are fine, but I'd also like to see customer reviews.
> --

--0016364eccb23751b704a275d828

Q2: no idea about real world performance. The macbook air seems to be blazi=
ng fast</p>
an&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:johnxj@comcast.net">johnxj@comcast.net</a>&g=
t;:<br type=3D"attribution">&gt; On Wed, 4 May 2011 12:24:23 +0200<br>&gt; =
Adrian Bastholm &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:adrian@javaguru.org">adrian@javaguru.=
org</a>&gt; dijo:<br>
&gt; <br>&gt;&gt;Since I&#39;ve just bought the low-end T520 I thought I co=
uld add some<br>&gt;&gt;value to the discussion.<br>&gt;&gt;mSATA instead o=
f WWAN:<br>&gt;&gt;True, but there&#39;s no need to remove the WWAN card (a=
nd thus unscrew a<br>
&gt;&gt;lot of pieces) since there&#39;s an ExpressCard slot at the right h=
stand correctly that you can add an expresscard SSD drive and<br>&gt; use i=
t as the boot drive, leaving the original spinning drive in place<br>
&gt; to use for storage? This might be the best way to go. I could, for<br>=
&gt; example, put Fedora or Ubuntu, and ~/ home on the SSD drive, and mount=
9;t have<br>
&gt; to be more than 32 GB or so.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; Another option is a Seag=
ate Momentus which is a hybrid. Evidently it<br>&gt; contains internal soft=
ware that uses the SSD portion for files that you<br>&gt; are using a lot, =
and the spinning portion for everything else,<br>
&gt; allocating the usage dynamically. It&#39;s an intriguing concept, but =
s a second question, is there data anywhere on real-world read/write<br>
&gt; speeds of the various SSD drives currently available. Technical specs<=
br>&gt; are fine, but I&#39;d also like to see customer reviews. <br>&gt; -=
- <br>&gt; The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>&gt; <a href=
=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad">http=
://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-thinkpad</a><br>

--0016364eccb23751b704a275d828--