[ltp] Re: ThinkPad T520: uefi/gpt debian install

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 May 2011 19:28:41 +0200

--nextPart1679917.APiBfYxa5l

Am Freitag, 13. Mai 2011 schrieb Stefan Monnier:
> > I wondered whether it might make sense to install with UEFI and GPT.
> > Informations from Arch Wiki hint at that for better alignment and
> > less
>=20
> > space waste for SSD:
> Alignment doesn't matter much for SSDs and current fdisk seems to
> perform the same kind of alignment as described in the above page.
> As for less space waste, I don't know where you got that idea.

Read that in the wiki or some of the other links I googled. Anyway doesn't=
=20
make much sense for me either.

> UEFI+GPT is no worse than traditional BIOS+MBR and offers some
> advantages, but unless you have more than 4 partitions you likely will
> never notice the difference (except for the fact that some tools don't
> support GPT, of course).

Won't UEFI POST be faster than BIOS POST? I have seen a YouTubo video=20
about Lenovo Enhanced Experience, where POST was just 1.8 seconds with=20
UEFI. Well I don't know how long it is in BIOS mode. But on my ThinkPad=20
T42 POST is longer I feel. (Will measure it at least by counting seconds=20
when some of the next boot or resume from hibernation).

=2D-=20