[ltp] Re: ThinkPad T520: uefi/gpt debian install

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 May 2011 19:38:18 +0200

--001636284dea759a1a04a32bc560

gparted and fdisk support GPT. Cfdisk doesn't.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>w=
rote:

> > I wondered whether it might make sense to install with UEFI and GPT.
> > Informations from Arch Wiki hint at that for better alignment and less
> > space waste for SSD:
>
> Alignment doesn't matter much for SSDs and current fdisk seems to
> perform the same kind of alignment as described in the above page.
> As for less space waste, I don't know where you got that idea.
>
> UEFI+GPT is no worse than traditional BIOS+MBR and offers some
> advantages, but unless you have more than 4 partitions you likely will
> never notice the difference (except for the fact that some tools don't
> support GPT, of course).
>

>        Stefan
>
> --

--=20
V=E4nliga h=E4lsningar / Kind regards,
Adrian Bastholm

I would change the world, but they won't give me the sourcecode

--001636284dea759a1a04a32bc560

gparted and fdisk support GPT. Cfdisk doesn&#39;t.<br><br><div class=3D"gma=
il_quote">On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Stefan Monnier <span dir=3D"ltr"=
>&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:monnier@iro.umontreal.ca">monnier@iro.umontreal.ca</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class=3D"im">&gt; I wondered whether i=
t might make sense to install with UEFI and GPT.<br>
&gt; Informations from Arch Wiki hint at that for better alignment and less=
&gt; space waste for SSD:<br>
perform the same kind of alignment as described in the above page.<br>
As for less space waste, I don&#39;t know where you got that idea.<br>
UEFI+GPT is no worse than traditional BIOS+MBR and offers some<br>
advantages, but unless you have more than 4 partitions you likely will<br>
never notice the difference (except for the fact that some tools don&#39;t<=
br>
support GPT, of course).<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Stefan<br>
--<br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>