[ltp] SSD for a X220?

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 May 2011 09:43:25 +0200

--nextPart3067772.K0lfId5hbY

Am Dienstag, 3. Mai 2011 schrieb Chris Schumann:
> On 05/03/2011 01:37 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > On lun., 2011-05-02 at 11:11 -0600, Christos Papadopoulos wrote:
> >> After discovering that the X201 model is no longer available, I just
> >> ordered a X220 and I am looking to get a SSD for it. All suggestions
> >> welcome. The larger the better, I can afford to splurge a bit.
> >=20
> > I don't have a buying advice, but you can read
> > http://www.anandtech.com/tag/storage which has plenty of information
> > and comparisons on SSD which might help you on that (or lose you,
> > too :)
> >=20
> > Regards,
>=20
> This post is good too:
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-driv
> e-scale.html
>=20
> Basically, it says this:
> - have a good, tested backup plan
> - plan for the SSD to fail within a year
> - go buy a good one right now

Thanks for mentioning this post. Although I think the poster really had=20
very bad luck this reminds me of having good backups - like I have with my=
=20
rotational disks as well. Maybe even to reduce the backup frequency. A bit=
=20
shocking is the all or nothing behavior. But I have seen with a TakeMS 4=20
GB SD-Card whose plastic casing got broken. From one moment to another it=20
stopped working. The controller logic was broken. It did cost my 170 Euro=20
to have data recovered. Regarding to some reviews on amazon.de that=20
plastic casing problem is even common to these cards. After this I bought=20
Kingston onces and said to me if I do not come around to sort photographs=20
regularily, I am better of with just rsync'ing the cards contents=20
somewhere, i.e. to regularily backup my SD cards as well.

That said, the Intel SSD appear to be quite reliable - at least compared=20
to other SSDs:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4244/intel-ssd-320-review

But a 0,4% annual failure rate still means that 4 out of 1000 drives fail=20
per year. Thus a backup is needed in anycase. When looking at several=20
years these percent value adds up. I don't know how to calculate that.=20
Whether its 0,4+0,4+0,4 =3D 1.2% for three years. I darkly remember that=20
probalities are calculated differently, but I am not sure.

That said HDs have failure rates, too. And of the harddisks I personally=20
use I never had any data loss due to harddisk failures. The most serious=20
was a Samsung 2.5 inch laptop drive which after some problem with power=20
supply said that it had SMART errors while I believe it hadn't and counted=
=20
the power loss drive access errors as hardware errors like no hitachi=20
drive ever did here. I had the drive replaced anyway.

=2D-=20