[ltp] Re: [T410s] Fan running constantly

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 May 2011 09:37:18 -0300

> When googling, I find several forum posts describing the T410s fan as
> noisy when running Linux but it appears as  a non-issue for Windows
> users.  Has anyone found a workaround? I've found [2] but I'm resistant

IIUC the problem is not the fan, but the power management.
I.e. the fan will turn itself off if the temperature goes down
sufficiently, but that doesn't happen under GNU/Linux because the power
management is not as good as under Windows.

I don't have a T410 so maybe I'm talking about something unrelated, but
at least my T60's power consumption when idle has never gone nearly as
low under GNU/Linux (lowest ever for me: 12.3W) as under Windows
(lowest below 10W; only time I booted Windows on this machine).

        Stefan