[ltp] Re: [T410s] Fan running constantly

Thu, 19 May 2011 01:00:15 +0100

On 18/05/11 20:45, Daniel Näslund wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Stefan Monnier
> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>  wrote:
>>> When googling, I find several forum posts describing the T410s fan as
>>> noisy when running Linux but it appears as  a non-issue for Windows
>>> users.  Has anyone found a workaround? I've found [2] but I'm resistant

You can use tpfand / tpfan-admin to control the fan trip points. It's
certainly safe to run up to 75 degrees (and possibly 95 if you feel like
risking it) - as long as you run the machine on a table. The need to
stay below about 45 is to protect your legs (low temperature burns), not
the CPU.  [Ensure the battery doesn't get hot though: a failed CPU is
just inconvenient; an exploding LiPo is not so good.]

You might also consider re-doing the heatsink thermal compound, and
checking the GPU cooling is good. (On my T60, the CPU idles at 45, but
the GPU idles at 70, because the heatsink design for the GPU is very
faulty; I'm shortly going to modify this).

Also, use powertop - it gives helpful advice on what is consuming power.
It should be possible to get the machine to idle on  < 10 W.

HTH,

Richard