[ltp] Re: [T410s] Fan running constantly

Daniel Näslund linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 19 May 2011 21:07:53 +0200

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 01:00:15AM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:

> On 18/05/11 20:45, Daniel Näslund wrote:
> >>

> You can use tpfand / tpfan-admin to control the fan trip points.
> It's certainly safe to run up to 75 degrees (and possibly 95 if you
> feel like risking it) - as long as you run the machine on a table.
> The need to stay below about 45 is to protect your legs (low
> temperature burns), not the CPU.

As as I said previously, I'm mainly looking for solutions that does not
demand userspace daemons for controlling the fan speed. For the record,
how long have you been using tpfand?

> You might also consider re-doing the heatsink thermal compound, and
> checking the GPU cooling is good.

Might do that if everything else fails. Just read that the T420s is
supposed to have a redesigned fan [1]. That strenghtens the hypothesis
that the cooling system for the T410s is not optimally designed - if it
were then why would they redesign it for the next release?

[1] http://www.lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/2011/02/thinkpad-t420s/

> Also, use powertop - it gives helpful advice on what is consuming
> power. It should be possible to get the machine to idle on  < 10 W.

Yes, powertop is a great tool.

Daniel