[ltp] Re: [T410s] Fan running constantly

Fri, 20 May 2011 00:59:15 +0100

>> You can use tpfand / tpfan-admin to control the fan trip points.
>> It's certainly safe to run up to 75 degrees (and possibly 95 if you
>> feel like risking it) - as long as you run the machine on a table.
>> The need to stay below about 45 is to protect your legs (low
>> temperature burns), not the CPU.
>
> As as I said previously, I'm mainly looking for solutions that does not
> demand userspace daemons for controlling the fan speed. For the record,
> how long have you been using tpfand?

I've used it for ages, and it's pretty good. If it crashes or is killed
(as long as it's not kill-9), it will hand control back to the BIOS, so
I think it's safe. Also, there is a very useful gui that shows what is
getting hot - in my case it's clear that it's the GPU not the CPU.