[ltp] Lockups with T520

Ole Langbehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 May 2011 14:39:35 +0200

--------------enigA37DC1205A9285EABC24599D

Hi,

I got a new T520 about 5 weeks ago. Since then, I've had complete
lockups about every other day. Sometimes it happens three times a day,
sometimes the box runs for a couple of days without error.

The symptoms are:

* screen freezes
* can't connect to box via network
* sound playback goes to very short loop
* after reset, the log files (/var/log/messages, Xorg.log) don't show
anything related to the lockup

These lockups happen with a gentoo install as well as with an ubuntu
11.04 install. I've also tested the memory and swapped it around, tested
with just one memory bank, shut down wireless and other not needed
hardware, all to no avail.

So, my questions are:

* Has anyone with a T520 experienced these or similar lockups?
* Does anyone know how to further analyze the problem?
* What are the chances of this being a hardware issue?

Regards,

Ole