[ltp] ThinkPad T520 won't boot Linux from Intel SSD 320

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 May 2011 21:51:17 +0200

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2011 schrieb Ole Langbehn:
> Hi,

Hi Ole!

> just found this in the release notes for bios version 1.25 (05/19) [1]:
>=20
> * (Fix) Fixed an issue where the computer might not be booted from the
> hard disk with Linux installed if there was no active partition there.
>=20
> So it seems the missing bootable flag caused the issue.

Gosh!

Thanks. I never thought this might have been the cause.

But then with GPT where there is no bootable flag, or is there it didn=B4t=
=20
boot as well. I wonder whether a GPT/EFI based boot might work on the=20
machine.

Well gdisk seems to be able to convert from MBR to GPT altough I left no=20
space at the end of the SSD with fdisk -cu:

=46ound invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format.
THIS OPERATION IS POTENTIALLY DESTRUCTIVE! Exit by typing 'q' if
you don't want to convert your MBR partitions to GPT format!

Thus should I ever feel adventurous I might try this again.

But the BIOS startup is quite quick anyway, I think a full EFI based boot=20
won=B4t make it much quicker.

=2D-=20