[ltp] How safe is ubuntu 11.10?

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:28:35 +0000

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 03:56:21PM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 05:53:37PM -0500, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
> > Quoting Steven J. Owens <thinkpad@darksleep.com>:
> > >      I have a thinkpad t520 with nvidia/optimus, Intel Core i7-2720QM
> > > Processor (2.20GHz, 6MB L3), 8 gigs of memory and all the trimmings.
> > >
> > >      I've been running ubuntu 10.4 LTS because I found the main ubuntu
> > > release to be a pain - too frequently the dist-upgrades caused odd
> > > hardware problems.  Nobody mentioned the problems _before_ I upgraded,
> > > but after I ran into them and did a lot of googling, I'd eventually
> > > find that they afflicted other thinkpad owners.
>
> For the record, I've been running all versions of Ubuntu since 7.10 on my
> T61.  Hardware-related problems appear and go away randomly with each
> kernel update; none have been show-stoppers.  I don't have NVidia, thank
> $GOD, which makes things simpler.

     Depends on what you mean by show-stopper... I've managed to limp
along but with hassles ranging from persistently annoying to major
pain in the rear.  Sometimes I can tolerate these, other times my
$work depends on things running smoothly.

> You mentioned dist-upgrade.  I hope that was an euphemism, since the

     Yeah.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell