[ltp] How safe is ubuntu 11.10?

Petter Hansen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:40:18 +0100

Den 10. nov. 2011 17:55, skrev Steven J. Owens:
> Peter,
>
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 05:39:30PM +0100, Petter Hansen wrote:
>> Den 04. nov. 2011 15:56, skrev Steven J. Owens:
>>>       I have a thinkpad t520 with nvidia/optimus, Intel Core i7-2720QM
>>> Processor (2.20GHz, 6MB L3), 8 gigs of memory and all the trimmings.
>>
>> I have probably the same machine 4243-3UG + (total 8 gig ram, Intel
>> 320 ssd)
>
>       Mine is 4239-CTO.  I'd like to try out SSD but I don't want to
> give up a real HD or the CD/DVD drive.  I've considered the internal
> SSD, but when I was buying my t520 it was not clear whether it was
> bootable and/or fast enough to make putting the / partition on it
> worthwhile. (Just did some quick googling and it looks like it is
> indeed bootable.)
I have used ssd for / for about 4 years now on my X-61 and haven't had
any problems with that. Bootup takes about 15 sec. On a normal hd it
takes at least 40 sec. after bios is finished.
One thing is important when using the ssd. You must remember to activate
the trim command in fstab.

>> I first tried to install Ubuntu 11.10, but then it used so
>> much power that the life of the battery was only 3.5 - 4 hours, but
>> everything functioned without tweak anything. I also use only Intel
>> graphics, so do not know how it will be with Nvidia graphics.
>
>       For now I have optimus turned off in the BIOS and I'm using intel
> only.  I'd love to have all that horsepower but I haven't had time to
> devote to experimenting with bumblebee, etc.
>
>> Now I use 11.04 with Intel graphics, and everything works out of the
>> box. 3G works well and battery life is now 7-8 hours. Idle power
>> consumption is now only 8-10 watts
>
>       Interesting.  Do you have any clear indications of what made
> the difference?
This is kernel 3.0 problem. Take a look here.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress&num=1
Or google a bit around "Power regression Sandy Bridge" chipset.