[ltp] No eth0 on T520, Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

Sun, 09 Oct 2011 01:24:25 +0100

>       Bah humbug :-).  Every time I do a major upgrade, things break
> and I often ultimately end up backing up, reformatting and installing
> from scratch.  That's why I was sticking with LTS, hoping to get off
> that treadmill.
>
>       How fraught with peril is this approach?  I seem to have a nack
> for hitting the potholes on the information superhighway.

Well, you can install multiple kernels in parallel, and select between
them at the grub prompt. So I'd say it's a reasonably easy experiment to
run [and back out again afterwards, if necessary].

The point of POSIX is that the kernel syscall interface is reasonably
stable, so the kernel is very decoupled from the rest.

The only possible gotcha is wifi firmware: if you had to install a
binary blob firmware package for Lucid, you may need to remove it.

Richard