[ltp] Thinkpad power adapters and less than 100V mains

Jason Brooks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 16 Oct 2011 19:25:47 -0700

Since the power coming out of the supply will be regulated it
shouldn't hurt the laptop.
You could cause problems for the power supply because it will be
working harder. The constant charge and surge that the capacitors will
go through in a low power situation would shorten the life of them.
Normally this wouldn't be a issue since they charge and stay charged
in a full power situation.  Is this why your power supply is acting
flaky? Maybe but more than likely it is from every day use. All
manufactures are cutting back and bundling the lowest wattage power
supply they can. They don't last. I had a HP power supply that was 90W
for about a year... then it was 70 watt...  Replaced it with a APC
power supply and have not had a problem since. I would suggest the
same to you.

--
JaY