[ltp] Re: Those dumb forward/backward keys on X220

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 12:21:20 +0200

--20cf307abe75f8fc5f04ad992cd4

Michael Livshin wrote:
> Those two keys above Left and Right.
> Is there a way to disable them, preferably on the Xkb level or below?

On Ubuntu natty you can --- in theory --- reassign keys using menu bar |
power-switch symbol | System Settings | Keyboard Shortcuts.  However, I have
learned the hard way that it is not advisable to depart from the default UI
settings in Ubuntu natty.  Things go wrong.  In this case too.  I tried
assigning the page-back and page-forward keys to various functions as
described above and the result was that the page-forward key acquired the
new function and the page-back key did not.

I compiled a table giving information about all the special keys on the
X220.  It may prove useful to you.

--
Thomas Hood

--20cf307abe75f8fc5f04ad992cd4

Michael Livshin wrote:<br>&gt; Those two keys above Left and Right.<br>&gt;=
 Is there a way to disable them, preferably on the Xkb level or below? <br>=
| power-switch symbol | System Settings | Keyboard Shortcuts. =A0However, I=
 have learned the hard way that it is not advisable to depart from the defa=
ult UI settings in Ubuntu natty. =A0Things go wrong. =A0In this case too. =
=A0I tried assigning the page-back and page-forward keys to various functio=
ns as described above and the result was that the page-forward key acquired=
 the new function and the page-back key did not.<br>

 X220. =A0It may prove useful to you.<br><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quo=
te" style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin=
-left: 0.8ex; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-color: rgb(204, 204, 204)=
; border-left-style: solid; padding-left: 1ex; ">

 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_11.04_(N=
atty_Narwhal)_on_a_ThinkPad_X220#Key_table">http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/I=
nstalling_Ubuntu_11.04_(Natty_Narwhal)_on_a_ThinkPad_X220#Key_table</a><br>=
 =A0 =A0<a href=3D"http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_11.04_(N=
atty_Narwhal)_on_a_ThinkPad_X220#Fix_for_hotkey_shortcomings">http://www.th=
inkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_11.04_(Natty_Narwhal)_on_a_ThinkPad_X220=
#Fix_for_hotkey_shortcomings</a></blockquote>

--20cf307abe75f8fc5f04ad992cd4--