[ltp] OT: Windows Refund

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 22:28:12 +0200

On 2012-04-13 20:48, Fen Labalme wrote:
> I wanted something similar.  My T420 came with Windows 7 and is now
> running Ubuntu GNU/Linux.  I asked if they could send me a CD
> and activation key so I could load the Windows that I paid for into a
> VirtualBox (as I find running Windows to QA websites I build is useful).
>   But they told me that the Windows that came with the machine was keyed
> to the machine so that they couldn't do this.  Seems morally wrong, but
> there are few morals in business, I suppose...

i don't see whats the problem, windows bundled with hardware is a lot
cheaper than systembuilder/boxed versions. you paid less, you got less.

when you buy laptops with windows home edition, it get more confusing,
because those laptops are normally shipped with a lot of software (demo
versions), which make the whole bundle cheaper (companies are paying
money to get on the laptop..), so buying such a laptop and _not_ using
windows is cheaper, than buying a laptop without OS.

and if you want to use win7 in virtualbox..

its in german, but it boils down to read the SLIC and DMI data, and
configure the virtualbox to match those.

Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org
Tel: +43 650 2661660