[ltp] Overheating T500

Julien Iguchi-Cartigny linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:47:24 +0100

On 12/14/2012 01:10 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2012, Julien Iguchi-Cartigny wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand why my T500 is overheating since Ubuntu 11.10.
>> I've wrote a wiki entry about in thinkwiki:
>>
>> <http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_Overheating_then_reboot_since_Ubuntu_11.10>
>>
>> Does someone has experienced similar problem or have a clue about it ?
> 1. Do not enable fan control on thinkpad-acpi, I default it to disabled and
> require an explicit module parameter to even alow it for a damn good reason.
>
> In that situation (you remove the module parameter that lets thinkpad-acpi
> do fan control, *power off*, and power on again), does the bug still happen?
Yes, my disabling fan fix is only for setting max speed to the fan to
see if the problem is just a bad fan policy. In this case, it is not:
the computer overheats even if fan is at max. The only way to avoid
sudden rebooting is to unplug the computer from the power source and
only work on battery.
> If it does, the thinkpad is defective, and needs to be repaired.
I think the best way to show that it is not a hardware problem but a bug
in the kernel is to resinstall ubuntu (or wahtever distribution) with
kernel < 3.0. If the computer does not overheat this is a kernel bug.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Julien