[ltp] T520 Ubuntu 11.10 x64 - can't connect external monitor

Fen Labalme linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Feb 2012 14:27:59 -0500

--001636ed6c54853a9104b8144f22

I have a new T520 that mostly works fine =96 I currently run nvidia (NVS
4200M) discrete graphics, have compiz 3d effects and colors look good.
 (Still trying to decide if I like Unity, tho...)

But whether using the VGA or the Display Port, I can=92t get the second
monitor (Samsung T260R) to appear. I=92d give up 3d if that=92s what=92s ne=
eded,
as I use this machine primarily for work. (It would be sad to lose Rotate
Cube, but so it goes.) Using the nvidia-settings app, I=92ve tried running =
as
separate X-windows with xinerama and with Twinview. I actually got Twinview
to work once using a Display Port -> DVI cable but have not been able to
recreate that experience. (If I ever get it working again, I=92ll certainly
save the xorg.conf!)  But VGA in particular should easily hotplug - needed
for presentations, etc. when on the road. And I'd like DisplayPort to
hotplug, too, so I can easily hook to my main monitor.

If I can't get this to work, I'm going to have to RMA my shiny new box :(

Thanks!
=3DFen

--001636ed6c54853a9104b8144f22

I have a new T520 that mostly works fine =96 I currently run nvidia (NVS 42=
00M) discrete graphics, have compiz 3d effects and colors look good. =A0(St=
iv>
d monitor (Samsung T260R) to appear. I=92d give up 3d if that=92s what=92s =
needed, as I use this machine primarily for work. (It would be sad to lose =
Rotate Cube, but so it goes.) Using the nvidia-settings app, I=92ve tried r=
unning as separate X-windows with xinerama and with Twinview. I actually go=
t Twinview to work once using a Display Port -&gt; DVI cable but have not b=
een able to recreate that experience. (If I ever get it working again, I=92=
ll certainly save the xorg.conf!) =A0But VGA in particular should easily ho=
tplug - needed for presentations, etc. when on the road. And I&#39;d like D=
isplayPort to hotplug, too, so I can easily hook to my main monitor.</div>
n</div>

--001636ed6c54853a9104b8144f22--